- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Unrefined sea salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 ½ chipotle peppers (seeds removed plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce)
- ½ cup raw macadamia nuts (ideally soaked in water for 2 to 3 hours and then rinsed and drained)
- ½ cup water
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-heat; add the onion and garlic and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Season with salt and add the lime juice; continue cooking until lime juice evaporates. Set onion mixture aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- To a Vitamix, add the cooled onion mixture, chipotle peppers with adobo sauce, macadamia nuts and water. Process until smooth and creamy.
Note: Sauce will keep for 3 days if stored in a covered container in your refrigerator