Our healthy recipe for 7 layer salad can also be used as a 7 layer dip with fresh chopped vegetables (think carrots, celery and tri-colored peppers). Yum!
LAYER 1 | BEAN LAYER:
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) BPA-free pinto beans rinsed, drained and mashed
- 4 teaspoons all-natural taco seasoning (such as Simply Organic)
Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat; add the garlic and onion and sauté until soft and caramelized. Add the mashed beans and taco seasoning and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Set beans aside to cool. When cool, spread the refried beans on the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch casserole dish.
LAYER 2 | GUACAMOLE
- 2 Haas avocados, pitted
- Juice from 1 whole lime
- Unrefined sea salt, to taste
Place the avocado flesh in a large bowl and use a pastry blender to mash. Add the lime juice and salt and mash until smooth and creamy. Spread guacamole on top of the refried beans.
LAYER 3 | BUTTER LETTUCE
- 2 cups butter lettuce, finely chopped
Arrange the butter lettuce on top of the guacamole.
LAYER 4 | RED ONION
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
Spread the layer of onion out across the lettuce.
LAYER 5 | CILANTRO
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
Spread the cilantro over the onion.
LAYER 6 | TOMATOES
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice
- Unrefined sea salt to taste
Mix tomato ingredients in a small bowl and then spread across the cilantro.
LAYER 7 | BLACK OLIVE
- 3 cans (2.5 ounces each), sliced olives, drained
Arrange the sliced olives on top of the butter lettuce.