- 1/2 cup chopped roasted beet root (approximately 1 small beet root) chilled or at room temperature (see note below for how to roast beets)
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut “cream” (see notes below)
- 1 cup chilled filtered water
- 1 cup ice
- 8 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon gelatinized maca (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Puffed whole grain cereal for topping, optional
Put all of the ingredients, except for the cereal, in the order listed above in a blender. Process on high until smooth and creamy. Divide into 2 cups and sprinkle the whole grain cereal (if using) on top. Serve at once.
How to Roast Beet Roots: Individually wrap beet roots in foil. Place wrapped beet roots on a baking sheet. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until fork tender.
Coconut Cream: The coconut “cream” is the thick, non-watery part from a coconut milk can.