This Healthy Turkey Chili Recipe has my family begging me to add this to our meal planner every week. It is so sincerely delicious and satisfying.
Healthy Turkey Chili Recipe Inspiration
This deliciously packed chili recipe is inspired by none other than Taco Tuesday. It seems to be about the best thing that Tuesday’s have to offer after 3 pm. We do a lot of clean taco Tuesdays at our house lately, but this Healthy Turkey Chili recipe is one I’ve been making for ages.
Making a plant-forward protein packed turkey chili recipe isn’t hard to make. This recipe is LOADED with nutrition and is one very satisfying bowl of chili.
Eating Clean Protein = Less Animal Food + More Plant Food
I know I say it all the time, but if you are serious about clean eating, then you definitely want to get serious about eating clean protein.
Keep in mind that for every step you climb up the food chain ladder, your body accumulates more toxins found in the environment. Plant foods are lowest on the food chain. Even non-organic, unrefined “whole” plant foods will always be a “cleaner” protein choice than the cleanest, healthiest-raised organic animal food.
That means foods like beans, nuts, vegetables, whole grains, etc. will always be cleaner sources of protein than organic, pasture-raised beef, wild fish or organic, pasture-raised eggs.
How to Make Healthy Turkey Chili Recipe
Chili is well known for being a great food for satisfying hearty appetites. But most classic chili recipes are made with lots of meat. We’re talking 3 pounds of meat in the average conventional chili recipe (that serves 8). That’s a lot of meat! My recipe for HEALTHY Turkey Chili has 1 pound of meat and trust me, you won’t even notice.
You Don’t Need Tons of Meat to Satisfy a Hearty Appetite
One of the main reasons this taco chili recipe is so incredibly satisfying is because it is filled to the brim with plant protein from beans. I do add some meat, but I use way less than what is found in the typical chili recipe. But trust me, nobody will miss it. And nobody will go hungry either (wink).
Pair Your Healthy Turkey Chili with Tortillas
The night we enjoyed this delicious turkey chili, I made homemade tortillas while the chili was simmering. My grain free tortilla recipe is easier and tastier than you might think. Give it a try!
Ok! Let’s make some chili guys….Print
Taco Chili Recipe
Healthy Turkey Chili recipe is inspired by Taco Tuesday. Delicious south-of-the-border flavor, bursting with protein and nutrients.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 1x
- Cuisine: Chili
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound ground pasture raised turkey (or beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) BPA-free chili beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 can (15 ounces) BPA-free kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen organic corn kernels
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, with juices
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup non-fortified nutritional yeast, such as this one
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 4 tablespoons organic all-natural taco seasoning mix
- Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey (or beef) and salt; cook until meat is cooked and is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, chopped green chiles and taco seasoning. Mix to blend ingredients well.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring every now and again. Serve warm.
Organic taco seasoning mix can be found in the ethnic section of your natural foods store, usually right next to the tacos.