FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans and set aside.
- Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix until combined. You don’t need to separate the dry and wet ingredients for this recipe.
- Divide batter between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top starts to darken and the center is set.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, frost the tops of the cakes and stack them.
FOR THE FROSTING:
- Add all ingredients to a bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, blend thoroughly.
- If you want a sweeter frosting, add a little more maple syrup.
Note: This is not traditional frosting – it is a little more dense, not as fluffy but it is a perfect pairing to this cake. Enjoy.