This dairy free and sugar free CLEAN Chocolate Avocado Mousse recipe is sweetened with bananas, dates and stevia.
- 2 ripe Haas avocados, pitted and mashed
- 1 large, very ripe banana
- 1/4 cup plus
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened “whole” almond milk (such as New Barn brand)
- 1/4 cup plus
- 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon 100% pure stevia powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 cup Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips
- 3 tablespoons coconut “cream” (see notes below)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- To , add the avocado, banana, almond milk, dates, cacao powder, stevia powder and salt. Process on full speed until smooth and creamy.
- Leave the chocolate-avocado mixture in the blender base and set aside.
- To a small saucepan, add the chocolate chips, coconut “cream” and vanilla.
- Heat over low-medium, stirring frequently, until chocolate melts, about 2 minutes (Note: be careful not to let the chocolate burn!) Pour the melted chocolate into the blender with the chocolate-avocado mixture and process on full speed until ingredients are smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the chocolate avocado pudding to a covered container and refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours. Serve chilled.
Chocolate Chips Lily’s brand of dark chocolate chips is both dairy free and sugar free. Pascha is another clean dairy free brand, but it has no sweetener at all, so if you decide to use Pascha brand you will need to add more stevia to the recipe. The best way to add stevia to any recipe is to start with just a teeny bit. Try just 1/8 teaspoon at a time and then taste before adding more.
Coconut “Cream”: This is the thick, rich and non-watery part of canned coconut milk. To get the “cream” you need to refrigerate your coconut milk for 5 or 6 hours or pop it in the freezer for at least an hour. Once the coconut milk is cold, carefully remove the top with a can opener and use a spoon to scoop out the hardened coconut “cream” off the top. The “cream” is what you will be using for the Chocolate Avocado Mousse. You can reserve the liquid water for other smoothies.