Looking for an easy 30 minute meal? Dinner pancakes are pretty hard to beat! They are the one entree I know my son will always eat. I can make the batter in advance or I can whip them up at the last minute without having to think about thawing anything early in the day. I almost always have all of the ingredients in the house, which means no last-minute grocery runs. And they are perfect for Meat-Free Monday, which also happens to be the one day of the week I am the least organized!
Eat Your Vegetables (or Sneak Them Into Dinner Pancakes)
If you have our Clean Cuisine book then you know I am always looking for creative ways to incorporate fruits and vegetables into as many different recipes as possible. Dinner pancakes are actually the perfect recipe for sneaking in a serving or two of vegetables.
It is super easy to work vegetables into a pancake recipe long as you cook and soften them a bit first. Once softened, I then transfer the vegetables to a high speed blender and puree with the rest of the batter. Not only do vegetables give a serious nutritional boost, they also add a delicious savory flavor to just about any pancake recipe. For this recipe, I use sauteed carrots but you could also use thawed peas, pumpkin puree, sweet potato or even eggplant.
As for toppings and sides, I like to serve savory pancakes with a dollop of nut cheese (Kite Hill almond cheese is especially tasty), kimchi and chopped fresh herbs. I add a simple side salad and maybe a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and dinner is done!
These nutritious savory carrot and brown rice dinner pancakes are 100% whole grain. They are easy to make and the perfect recipe for hectic weeknight meals.
- 4 tablespoons organic unrefined red palm oil OR extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 3 pasture-raised eggs (such as Vital Farms)
- 1 cup hemp milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup spelt flour (Note: I like One Degree Organic sprouted spelt flour)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked short grain brown rice
- 1/4 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat; add the carrots and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until carrots are soft. Set sauteed carrots aside.
- In a high speed blender (such as a Vitamix), add the eggs, hemp milk, baking powder, remaining 3 tablespoons of oil, spelt flour, rice and salt; process on high speed until ingredients are well blended. Add the sauteed carrots to the blender container and process again until batter is smooth and creamy.
- Wipe a thin layer of oil over the bottom of a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. When hot, add 1/2 cup batter to the skillet and cook until small holes appear on the surface, about 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully flip the pancakes and cook on the second side for another 2 minutes. Don’t pat them down or turn a second time. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Category: Pancakes
- Cuisine: Clean Eating
Looking for More Clean Eating Recipes?
Our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook offers a full month of clean eating dinner recipes including weekly menu planner, shopping lists and more!