With less than a week of summer vacation left, we are gearing up for back to school…and back to hectic weeknight suppers, homework and all the rest. This Beef Stir Fry Recipe is one of my no fuss, “back pocket” one dish dinners that never lets me down. It’s loaded with flavor, incredibly easy to make and doesn’t leave me with a sink full of dishes.
Beef Stir Fry Recipe in 30 Minutes (or Less!)
I know making a stir fry intimidates a lot of home cooks, but it’s actually one of the easiest and quickest dinners to make. As long as you follow Stir-Fry Basics Tip #5 and have all of your ingredients prepped and measured before you start cooking, dinner will be on the table in less than 30-minutes. The only part that takes any time at all is cutting the vegetables, and that only takes 10 minutes tops. After that, the rest is easy breezy…
Stir-Fry Does Not Have to Be Asian Inspired
Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love a Chinese style stir-fry (Cashew Chicken is one of my favorites!), but just because you are making stir fry does not mean you need to be making Chinese food. The Beef Stir Fry Recipe below with sweet potatoes and earthy poblano peppers is anything but Asian inspired. Made with Sriracha sauce, cumin, lime, garlic and cilantro, I would say this is more of a Mexican style stir fry. And even if you don’t have a family full of clean eating enthusiasts, it is definitely one of those dinners everyone will still be happy to eat.
- 1 1/2 pounds grass fed beef rib eye steak, trimmed of all fat and cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons cumin, divided
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Unrefined sea salt, to taste
- 2 heaping tablespoons organic, unrefined red palm oil OR extra virgin coconut oil
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 poblano peppers, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a zip-top bag, add the beef, 1 tablespoon cumin, Sriracha sauce, olive oil and salt to taste. Transfer the bag to the refrigerator and marinate beef for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large heavy frying pan, heat one heaping tablespoon of red palm oil (or coconut oil) over high heat. Add the beef and sear without stirring for 1 minute. Stir-fry the beef until the meat is just barely cooked through but still a teeny bit pink on the inside, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Return the pan to high heat and heat the remaining heaping tablespoon of red palm oil (or coconut oil). Add the sweet potatoes, season with the remaining tablespoon of cumin and salt and sear without stirring for 1 minute. Stir-fry the sweet potatoes until they just begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, onions and poblano peppers and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the lime juice and honey and stir fry until the liquid evaporates and the sweet potatoes are tender, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pan and stir fry until heated through, about 1 minute. Turn the heat off, sprinkle on the cilantro and serve at once.
Looking for More Healthy Dinner Recipes?
If you liked the Beef Stir Fry Recipe, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook.